Potala Palace is located in Lhasa, the old city of Lhasa between Drepung and Sera Monasteries which was founded by Songtsen Gampo at seven century in the year of 637.
The Fifth Dalai Lama, Ngawang Lobsang Gyatso started the construction of the modern Potala Palace in 1645.
The external structure of Potala Palace was built in 3 years, while the interior together with its furnishings took 45 years to complete.
Potala Palace consists of two parts, the White Palace on the bottom and the Red Palace on the top.
Potala Palace is named after Mount Potalaka, the mythical abode of Chenrezig / Avalokitesvara Bodhisattva.
The White Palace of Potala Palace which is known as Potrang Karpo was finished built in 1649, and The Red Palace of Potala Palace which is known as Potrang Marpo was added between 1690 and 1694.